3 cups washed and chopped watercress
1/2 cup dried chickpeas (or 1.25 cups cooked)
1/2 cup chopped shallots (or red onion)
3 green chillies, chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
1/4 tsp Kashmiri garam masala
2 tsps oil
1 tbsp plain yogurt
2 tbsp non-fat milk powder
1. If using dried chickpeas, soak for 8 hours and cook with salt with plenty of water until soft. (About 3 whistles in the pressure cooker). Drain, save the liquid, and keep aside.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin and stir until toasted, then add the ginger, garlic, chillies, shallots and a pinch of salt. Stir, add some salt and cook on medium-high until the onions are light brown.
3. A the turmeric and cayenne, stir for five seconds. Add the greens and salt. Cook for three minutes until wilted.
4. Add the chickpeas along with 1/4 cup chickpea liquid, along with the yogurt and milk powder.
5. Simmer for 2 minutes. Check the seasonings, add the garam masala, stir and take it off the flame.
Serve with rotis, rice or bread. It makes a great filling for a toasted sandwich.